For most, winter break is totally relaxing. Lucky them.
The rest of us are impatiently waiting for a letter from a particular department; a letter that may or not may not seal our fates. By us, I mean me, by the way. I’m sure I’m not the only one. Whether it’s business school or journalism school or both (yes, I know people that have applied to both), the wait quite frankly, stinks.
If I were about to jump into second semester sophomore year, the wait might be a little more manageable, but as a 4-credits shy of senior status student, the wait is unbearable. What if? What if? What if? That’s all I can think. A month ago, I would have told you that I am getting into J-school. As I turned in my application, I thought “no biggie.” The second I walked out of Vilas, though, panic set in. If I get in, I’m going to be psyched and ready, but if I don’t… if I don’t get in, truth it, I’m up shit’s creek- or at least that’s how I’ll feel for a while. I’ll be okay, don’t worry, but the fact of the matter is that I’ll have to choose another major or prolong college longer than it has already been prolonged. Not cool, my friends.
Some of you are probably thinking “oh chill out already.” You’re probably right.
In fact, someone close to me told has been telling me for weeks to just shut up about it because I don’t know yet. Why stress over the “What if’s?” when I don’t know anything yet. So that’s what I am trying to do. Ah yes, just writing about how I feel makes me feel better already. I think.
So I guess this is a message to those of you who aren’t totally chillin’ out over break. Chill out. We don’t know yet. And even when we do, there are options if the answer isn’t what we were expecting. Hell, that photography program at Madison College (how dumb does that sound?) is looking mighty nice actually.